Our difference lies in the fact that civilized mankind can construct their own strong progressive philosophy. Either as an individual or a community, for any problem, we tend to come to a solution. Afterwards, we establish it as a development idea leading us towards our convenient future. Whereas, till now we could not find any discrete concept to decide the exactness of right and wrong. These questions are somehow explained in terms of relative factors. We call them ethical values. Now, this is where we always get tangled. The struggle between progress and morality is a prolonged battle that has brought so many big changes.
Progress and morality are the two separate theories that evolved and remained as parts of human society. They’ve played significant roles in achieving personal, social, religious, political and economic reforms. Both these development ideas went through violent phases of revolution, argument, criticisms and debates all over the world. Even so, they coexisted and thought to be interrelated by many thinkers.
Ethical Beliefs and Progressive Philosophy appear like ‘Direction’ and ‘Corridor’ as explained at times by the respective philosophers. None of these thoughts can be made obsolete till now. Moral approach and Progressive learning keep on revolving and colliding in the domain of human society. To see how our modern morality and progressive principles have developed, we need to know their development phases. So, here we go back to let you know its beginning chapters.
Concepts of Ethical Principles
Ethical principles are ancient beliefs that has given a number of explanations for ideal human behaviour, social conduct, way of thinking and leading a balanced life. Initially, ancient rules of morality basically concentrated on the aspects of right or wrong in personal, social and religious terms. Later, during the phases of Western World’s social, political and industrial reforms in 18th and 19th century, progressive morality was introduced with economic and political perspectives included as the factors to decide rules of morality.
Now, if we observe the main stages of transformation in ethical beliefs, we can identify certain elements to have greatly influenced in the formation of modern moral approach, such as:
- Existence of God, the most ancient ethical idea, where ‘God’ or ‘Divine Power’ is thought to be the sole entity to classify good and evil. It was during European Religious Reforms, when the idea was challenged by many scholars, like, Socrates and Dostoevsky. Afterwards, the controversy led towards the emergence of new religious ideals of Secularism and Atheists.
- Impact of class/caste differences on ethical values. During the time of Western Industrial Revolution in 19th century, eminent scholars, such as, Émile Durkheim, Max Weber, and Karl Marx, presented ideas on social and religious ethics that were defined based on individual and social outlook. In fact, liberal religious thoughts started developing at this time to bring social stability, economic freedom and cultural motivations.
- Influence of social and religious ethics in economic reforms. In 1904, Max Weber observed the capitalistic ideals for the first time amongst Christian Protestants. The community differed from Catholics and believed in individual prospects to be the doorway of economic convenience. This was the primary phase of modern economic structure that is now practised in the vast parts of contemporary world.
- Development of Modern Work Ethics. Based on the progressive morality that emerged amongst the Protestants, present days’ work ethics integrates advanced knowledge and skill development ideas to be executed in the work space. Today’s rules of morality are concentrated in the development of professional skills and individual potentiality irrespective of social differences.
We can see it that the steps of Western Ethical Reforms came one after the other in such a perfect order that they could make the base where platform of Progressive Philosophy was set.
Development of Progressive Philosophy
Ideals of Progressive Philosophy or ‘Progressivism’ are much modern concept that originated in USA during 19th century. This progressive learning principle began as a turning point to eradicate declining economy with the rise of social, political, economic, academic and cultural development ideas. This was the era, where highly educated experts started thinking on strategies to unify progress and morality in a rational method. It was done to build a stable, healthy and ambitious society.
Moving ahead from the traditional religious or social bias, they emphasized over thorough understanding on the problem areas and arrive into a logical solution to create a long lasting expected impact. This is the time of progressive morality to become the key tool of making a futuristic society. Progressive Philosophy gave us these preliminary ideas to let us grow more:
- Eradication of Class Discrimination
- Upgrade in women’s status giving them Right to Vote
- Eradication of Corruption
- Journalistic Freedom of Expression
- Workplace Reforms
- School Level Academic Reform with the help of learning based on understanding mode
We’re not stopping at this point. Our movement will continue with the challenge of balancing these two ever changing ever countering principles – Progress and Morality.